Re: Turning off transactions completely. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvar Freude
Subject Re: Turning off transactions completely.
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

>> I would suggest to optimize your Application!
>
> First thing I did! :-)

OK, then sorry :)

I've a application where the tome consumption and amount of data is
similar, so this was my first idea.

> 1. VACUUM is dead slow. The CPU monitor shows long stretches when there's
> barely any activity at all while the vacuum is going on.

yes :-(

I hope for the 7.2, it seems that Vacuum is much more faster there (but I
didn't tested it yet).

> 2. I do vacuum analyze's to help the database figure out how to best run
> my queries. But it *still* doesnt use some of them...

I had the same problem; a simple (but dirty) solution was to disable
sequential scans in postgresql.conf:

enable_seqscan = false

Ciao
 Alvar

--
AGI :: Hohnerstrasse 23, 70469 Stuttgart
Fon +49 (0)711.490 320-0, Fax +49 (0)711.490 320-150